Wednesday, November 12, 2008

RBFF Last Day

God help me. I should stay away from the flea market section of the Festival tent.
I don't buy T shirts or that sort of bric a brac. No. I buy Hollywood - From Vietnam to Watergate by Robin Wood.
I saw two more films, the popular French thriller Tell No One which actually deserves the adjective Hitchcockian. To tell more would be spoiling it for you, dear reader(s).

The Lebanese Under The Bombs was more involving. Filmed ten days after the ceasefire ( Israeli bombing attacks continued)of the Thirty-three Days War. A frantic woman hires a reluctant cabbie to drive her to south Lebanon in search of her children. They meet repeated obstacles especially bombed out bridges. It's grim to think how much of this film's script was dictated by the ravaged landscape. The ending is bittersweet but totally bleak. I had just finished complaining that the selection had become too timid and almost PBS-ish on one of those surveys. Guess I spoke too soon.

No comments: