Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some Favorites of 2008

( A film or book or record's inclusion doesn't necessarily indicate that it was published or released in 2008.)

Wild Nights - Joyce Carol Oates. JCO imagines the last days of James, Poe, Hemingway, Dickinson and Twain.
The Sluts - Dennis Cooper - The latest by the man the gay lit establishment loves to hate. This assemblage of sex worker critiques is marbled with some of the darkest comedy imaginable.
The Secret History - Donna Tartt - My weakness for school stories isn't limited to tales of boarding school buggery. Can anyone tell me why this book reminded me so often of John Fowles' The Magus?
My Lives - Edmund White - White throws pretense to the four winds and gives us the book lurking beneath his famous autobiograhical quartet.

Let The Right One In
Margot at the Wedding
The Host
In Bruges
Fear(s) of the Dark
Midnight Meat Train
The X Files: I Want To Believe
The Dark Knight Returns
My Winnipeg
Savage Grace
Mother of Tears
Newcastle

Live music:
The National / Modest Mouse / REM Columbia,Md.
The Duke Spirit Baltimore, Md.
Melissa Etheridge D.C.

I played the hell out of Enigma Love Sensuality Devotion, Morrissey/ Smiths in toto, Cassndra Wilson's Miles Davis album, Kevin Ayers Joy of a Toy, Bryan Ferry Dylanesque, Van Dyke Parks Tokyo Rose, Richard and Linda Thompson / Best of and John Cale The Island Years.

2 comments:

Thomas Moronic said...

Hey - totally agree with you about The National. I caught a show when they played in the UK. Pretty special.

david said...

They were a heckuva lot better than Modest Mouse. I don't know what Johnny Marr saw in them.