Tuesday, August 25, 2009

OP ALAS 1 - I,JFK

( first in an irregular series of posts about books which have gone out of print to my great sorrow)

I, JFK is a comic fantasy by Robert Mayer, author of Superfolks. It was published in 1990 by St. Martin's and appeared in paperback in time to get on the Oliver Stone JFK fantasy bandwagon. Kennedy is in heaven with his brother Bobby, LBJ, Martin Luther King and Marilyn Monroe. He must explain himself before moving on to heaven's next level. I bought this book in paperback and initially suspected that it was the work of Gore Vidal or perhaps Thomas Disch. Wrong. It's the work of a novelist who is proud that he never repeats himself.( That's fine but it makes the people in marketing reach for the Xanax.)
It's an awful temptation to recount the funniest parts of this book but I shall resist. I'll only say that Mayer's vision of November 22 Dealey Plaza outdoes Robert Anton Wilson's fantasia of multiple assassins in Illuminatus! It's topped only by the account of what really happened the night Marilyn Monroe died. A book that deserves more readers.

No comments: