Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Last Days again - second sight3

I saw this two years ago and remembered a sort of different movie. LD is part of Van Sant's trilogy that includes the masterful Elephant and the annoying Gerry. Whether you like it or not, gossip hovers around this one's subject matter. Did a Courtney analogue get left out for legal reasons? Who on earth is Kim Gordon supposed to be, a management figure who wants to whisk Blake off to rehab or a supernatural being? In the bar scene it was a pleasure to see Harmony Korine, the most unjustly celebrated person in American cinema, as a Deadhead. But I must refrain from raving on about HK for now.
Van Sant must like annoying audiences. A friend of mine who didn't share my deep fondness for My Own Private Idaho said he liked the way the Shakespeare bits went on long enough to go pee or have a few puffs on a cig. I really wanted that Blake rehearsing scene to end. I have no problem with static camera. Most directors cut for no real reason anyway. But seven minutes of Michael Pitt's willoldhamesque mewing and feedback, visually obscured, was hard to endure.
I have to say that I liked Last Days. Some scenes are priceless, ex. the LDS twins. That shot of Blake walking down the street at 4am is one of the loveliest I've ever seen. All this leads me to ask why Lukas Haas, such a wholesome presence in Witness and the underrated Lady in White, has taken to playing queers and queer whores( Johns). Is he trying to tell us something or is it just that brave homoplaying actor thing again? I am so sick of that shit. You'd think buggery was like jumping out of an airplane.

Next time - Boys at School ( erotic fiction)

2 comments:

Chris Stamm said...

I loved Gerry.

Fugazi anecdote?

Natty Soltesz said...

The Boys II Men scene is amazing