Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mister Thespian


I was recently asked to appear, unpaid, in a snippet of video that would be part of a local band's multimedia presentation. The camera has never been my true friend.
Appearing in heavy makeup as an alien-human hybrid in an unreleased ( unfinished, really) scifi epic had been my last prolonged exposure to the cruel eye. Because of regular work schedule conflicts, we usually filmed on weekends. The use of a variety of girlfriends, boyfriends, beauty school students and failed abstract expressionists as makeup artists did little to preserve the continuity of my strange appearance. Some Sundays I looked more human. On other weekends I favored my fictional mother's nonreptilian side. When the project fell victim to attrition and lack of interest, I felt relieved. No more munching cheng du dumplings while the two directors argued about a camera setup. No more doubling in an illfitting uniform as a frightened park ranger.
In a recent e mail from the bandleader he ungently commented on my forthcoming viseo debut. I replied that I had made no commitment. He said he would call Kevin Spacey. ( shrugs) At least I'm off the hook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad ya didn't complete it. I would've loved to have seen it.

david said...

Believe me you didn't miss a thing Steve.